Monday, March 15, 2010

My Two Lost Pennies on The Lost Symbol


As expected, Dan Brown has a flair for delivering a twist in his writings, though this time I think has been toned down. The inclusion of certain technology such as Noetic Science and the breathable oxygen liquid were pretty intriguing, while technology used in the CIA was rather fascinating, assuming they are facts and not fiction.

The Dan Brown effect is still pretty good in this novel of his, not failing to keep readers on tenterhooks, well at least for most of the part. I have to admit at some point it feels as if Brown was rambling on, especially in the final 60 pages of the book. That I think was cause of a fleeting climax, from the way the villain was exterminated to the way he ties up the loose ends. I always have this tendency to compare it to Angel's & Demons which was a brilliant masterpiece. The last 60 pages was a bit dreadful to finish, especially when I was in a rush to finish the book prior going to bed and wasn't interested in a plain nonchalant discussion between Langdon and Peter in the absence of any threat or villain just to tie up those loose ends.

Nonetheless, it's still a good read and despite knowing how the movies are always a let down, I would still love to watch it to verify my imagination. Dan Brown in my opinion is still an exceptional author in his own league.

On a scale of 5, I'll give Lost Symbol a 4/5, BUT on a DAN BROWN scale, I'll give it a 3.5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment